Monday, October 8, 2007

Big Week

With the web video almost behind me, I have a big week ahead in terms of my venture philanthropy/social entrepreneur project. Groundwork Inc. - the East New York-based non-profit that I'm covering - holds their inaugural fundraising gala this Wednesday. The event comes as Groundwork has reached its fifth anniversary, and has reached a certain scale so that it can approach a different set of funders. Also, this should be my first opportunity to meet Groundwork's founder and executive director Richard Buery. David Adekoya, the 18 year old college freshman whom I profiled for my web video, will be a keynote speaker, which I'm excited about.

While this is all happening, I still need to do more background research. I keep reading about venture philanthropy but am not altogether sure how to define it yet. Measurable results certainly is a part of it, but I've also read traits of venture philanthropy include long term funding and a greater level of involvement than just giving money. Blue Ridge exemplifies this mode of philanthropy. Additionally, I still not quite sure if giving seed money to socail entrepreneurs is a defining characteristic of VP.

The blog Tactical Philanthropy has been a great help. It gathers together a lot of useful information and has a very welcoming tone about it. I've just emailed the blogger, who actually went to the same college I went to, and hopefully he can give me some direction.

1 comment:

amy said...

I hadn't heard you talk about your topic yet, so this was interesting to read. What are you doing for your feature?

Here's my blog, too:
http://amyvanvechtenmusicky.wordpress.com/