Friday, November 2, 2007

Principals and Churches

One of the principals I spoke to was very enthusiastic about the program, but in an honest way (at least it sounded honest on the phone). He mentioned how many programs promise a lot of things but end up only doing one thing, but that Groundwork has delivered. I'll need to speak with parents of Groundwork students there to confirm this and get those personal stories that I at least need to have in my notes. I am not excited about the idea of having to write in a poor kids finally getting some help how inspirational tale, unless I can do it ironically. But the effectiveness and parent response to the program is important to report on. I have to think of a way to reach parents directly though. I've been calling churches this morning, and only one responded. And they didn't know anything about Groundwork even though the church is around the corner from the Groundwork head office. It could be that the person on the phone personally didn't know anything about the organization, or I'm wrongheaded in looking for opinions from local churches, but I think it's an avenue worth exploring since in many low income communities the churches provide many social services and would have parishioners connected to community programs like Groundwork.

I've also gotten an email from a principal and left messages with two others.

No comments: