Sunday, November 25, 2007

Slideshow, Video and Podcast

Since my original idea for the slideshow--a tour of East New York narrated by my video subject--didn't amuse my professor, I've decided to change tack. Since my video and podcast focus on individuals in the non-profit, the slideshow should probably cover some subject on the venture philanthropy side. I'm thinking about going back to the Blue Ridge Foundation office and taking photos there. This could give viewers a sense of what a venture philanthropy foundation does for its "portfolio" companies. Not ever venture philanthropist works as closely as Blue Ridge does with the companies it supports--Blue Ridge shares an office with most of its companies--but the situation could illustrate the close engagement that VP is known for. Now I have to think of a way to do the slideshow without making it a PR vehicle.

I've got to reedit my video, and have a new approach. I want to incorporate more of why my subject, who went through the Groundwork program, joined the group in the first place. It's not a romantic beginning--he wasn't looking for a college prep program but wanted a job--but really came to like what Groundwork does. The director of the high school program, Mary Adams, is also very articulate and straightforward.

As for the podcast, I'm still debating whether to go back to get comments from the principal of the elementary school where I interviewed some students, a parent, and the Groundwork director of programs. The principal's very hard to get a hold of and may not be necessary for the podcast, as I already have many characters.

No comments: